Diagnosing drug addiction needs a complete evaluation and also includes the assessment by psychiatrist, psychologist, or licensed alcohol or drug counselor. Urine, blood, and other laboratory tests will be used for assessing the drug use; however they are not the diagnostic test for the addiction. But, these tests will be used to monitor the right treatment and recovery program.
Even though there is not any cure for the drug addiction, the drug addiction treatment New Jersey options explained will help you to overcome the addiction as well as stay free from drug. The treatment depends upon drug used or any other related medical and mental health disorders that you might have. In order, to prevent any relapse, long follow-up will be essential.
Treatment programs generally provide:
- Right care and settings may vary depending upon your requirements, like residential, outpatient, or inpatient programs
- Focus on knowing the right nature of addiction and becoming totally drug-free or preventing relapse
- Individual, family or group therapy sessions
Goal of detoxification, known as “detox” and withdrawal therapy, will help you to stop having any addicting drug as safely and quickly as possible. For a few people, it might be very safe to undergo any withdrawal treatment on the outpatient basis. Others might require admission to the hospital or residential treatment center. The withdrawal from various categories of drugs —like stimulants, depressants, and opioids — produces various side effects and needs different approaches. The detox might involve slowly decreasing the drug dose and temporarily substituting substances, like buprenorphine, methadone, or combination of naloxoneand buprenorphine.
Overdose of Opioid
In opioid overdose, naloxone, opioid antagonist, will be given by the emergency responders, or, by anybody who witnesses just overdose. Naloxone will reverse effects of the opioid drugs temporarily. Whereas naloxone is available from years, the delivery systems like Narcan (naloxone nasal spray) & Evzio (naloxone injection device) now are available, although they are expensive.
As a part of the drug treatment plan, behavior therapy —one type of psychotherapy —will be done by the psychiatrist or psychologist, or you might get counseling from the licensed alcohol or drug counselor. The therapy & counseling will be done with a person, family or group. Therapist and counselor will:
- Suggest some strategies to totally avoid drugs & prevent relapse
- Help you to develop different ways to cope your drug cravings
- Talk about the issues about your job, relationships with your friends and family and legal problems
- Provide suggestions of dealing with the relapse if ever happens
- Address mental health conditions
- Family members will be included in helping them to develop the better communication skills & be supportive